It is about time to start work on my next liturgical embroidery project. There is something special about doing liturgical embroidery. It is, in a way, more satisfying than other projects. I do, in the end, prefer to do projects for others anyway, projects intended for my walls seem to rarely get completed.
The above Blackwork Cross will not be on the first Epigonation, but on the second, I have volunteered to stitch two of them, one on a red wool fabric, and the second on a beautiful white Scottish linen (which will have the above cross in the center). My design for the red woolen Epigonation is hand-drawn and will be done in surface embroidery, so I doubt that I will be able to post a decent picture here before it is done. It is my hope to have the red one completed by Nativity, and the white one for Pascha. It just depends on so many other things, but that is my hope.
The design for the red Epigonation will be quite different – basically a cross with vines and flowers. I will post a photo of that when it is far enough along. You can see the framed project in the photo here, it was for a good friend.
I tend to like large, complex projects, so I do not complete many projects in a given year. It is, however, very nice when I do 🙂 This is Night Flight, a design by Amy Bear, and somewhat modified by me… I do not know when I will be able to afford to frame it, so thought that I should go ahead and post it!
I completed the blackwork cross and had it “finished” to give to the widower of the friend it was for. She did not get the chance it see it completed, she died much too quickly, but at least she got to see it in progress. With no further ado, here it is (and I won’t mention how expensive the framing was, I am in the wrong business!
Great Lent starts for the Orthodox this year rather late. Forgiveness Sunday is March 10th, and Pascha is April 27th – almost as late as it can be. I have no idea when I will have the time to post again, so I wanted to give a little progress report on one of my current projects.
The name of this design is Night Flight, and it is a rather long piece. I started it several years ago, completed the first couple of sections, and set it aside until now. You can see an image of the completed piece on the designer’s site here. I am not capable of doing such a design exactly as it is charted, so I do wind up “tweaking” some of the stitches. Not in a major way, for example, the two blue sections you see call for a Reverse Scotch stitch. Indeed that is what I am using for those two sections, but perhaps I reverse directions for the beginning row or something like that (which actually reverses the direction of all that follows in that section).
All of the fibers are overdyes, some are more subtle than others. It is an enjoyable piece. What sparked my return to THIS project was that I have, or had, a framed finished project of hers on my living room wall that was moved to my office wall at work. I like it there, but I miss having something like this at home, so it is time to finish it. I will work on other things during Lent, but hope to have it completed sometime this summer.